Skip to main content

Dying to Know - Now





I recently watched a movie on Netflix called, Dying to Know. It is a documentary film narrated by Robert Redford about the lives of Timothy Leary and Ram Dass, aka, Richard Alpert. Much of the film is footage of a conversation between the two men that occurred a few months prior to Timothy Leary’s death.

I think the movie does a great job of telling the story of how these two men influenced the culture in obvious and in subtle ways.

I cannot describe how I felt watching the film.

I first heard the story of Timothy Leary and Ram Dass, in 1971. Someone gave me a reel-to-reel audiotape and just said, “You will want to listen to this.” I listened to it and then listened to it again…and again. It was a three hour talk by Ram Dass describing his experience with Timothy Leary and psychedelic drugs that lead to his eventual pilgrimage to India. The audiotape preceded the soon-to-be released book, Be Here Now.

While watching the movie, Dying to Know, I was swept with my own Be Here Now moment. I noticed that I was listening to Ram Dass telling me the same story with the same message he shared in 1971. The only difference was the passage of 45 years. The similarity of then and now reminded me again.


Be Here Now.

I think Ram Dass and my late my father-in-law, Bob Parr, looked similar. I shared the Ram Dass article called Dying is Perfectly Safe with Bob a couple of years before his death. I hope it was helpful.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raison D’etre

It's not a lot But it's what I got Hope it'll last Not go too fast Some comin’ in Some goin' out Leavin' me just about Enough to break even So I can keep seein' A decent balance to be bequeathin’ To two fine young men Who are my best reason For Bein’ Here Now.

Still Here

My father, George died twenty-eight years ago of heart disease. He died when he was the same age as I am now. Near the end of his life he said to me, “There’s worse things than dying.” I asked him what was worse and he replied, “Being a burden to my family.” He died shortly afterward and relieved himself of that concern. In the subsequent years I have come to realize that I did not lose my father. Nor have I lost my mother who died in 2019. I continue to experience a connection with both of them. The connection is more than just a memory. I feel their essence any time that I pay attention to it. I suspect it’s always there even when I am not aware. I call the connection to my father George Consciousness. When in George Consciousness I experience a moment or an event from what feels like his unique perspective. Given his sense of humor those moments are usually very funny. I am grateful that both of my parents are Still Here.

Eating from the Same Plate

I wonder what and I wonder who Could ever unite the Red and the Blue. I’ve lived in a sea of Red and I’ve lived in a sea of Blue. I know people on both sides who are good  and some who are bad, too. In many ways it doesn’t matter if we are Red or if we are Blue.  We all love our families and we all love our friends  We all help our neighbors and we’ve all worked hard for the money we spend None of us feel good about the feelings of hate Cause in reality we are just eating from different sides of the same plate. Let’s not be duped. Let’s not be conned By the screens that we watch that profit by leading us on. There’s lots money made by buying and selling hate I hope we remember who we are before it’s too late.