Skip to main content

The Face of God


____________________________

My life-long friend, Lloyd, has visited Hell this summer. He has gone through a season of physical pain, emotional distress, and drug-induced cognitive confusion. It is not over yet.

His ordeal was caused by a serious infection that required emergency surgery. The condition created multiple systemic and, potentially life-threatening complications. Lloyd spent six weeks in intense physical and emotional pain as he moved from intensive care to an extended hospital stay and then to skilled nursing care.

Recently, Lloyd was able to see visitors. I was fortunate to be one. I felt some of his pain as he talked about the physical and psychological trauma he had experienced. I listened as he talked about his deep appreciation of his wife, Kathy, who provided immense attention and advocacy for Lloyd as the two of them navigated their way through an imperfect healthcare system.


Lloyd also told me that his visit to Hell had a surprise. He said, “I saw the face of God.” I listened as Lloyd told me that the face of God was revealed to him in the faces of some of the caregivers he encountered who really cared. These were caregivers who over-performed their job descriptions.  Lloyd told me that these were people who, despite personal problems of their own, gave him all the support that they possibly could when he was the most vulnerable. These were human beings who made an authentic connection with Lloyd – a connection that transcended the roles of patient and caregiver. These were people who shared the face of God with Lloyd and I am glad he was able to see It.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raison D’etre

It's not a lot But it's what I got Hope it'll last Not go too fast Some comin’ in Some goin' out Leavin' me just about Enough to break even So I can keep seein' A decent balance to be bequeathin’ To two fine young men Who are my best reason For Bein’ Here Now.

Still Here

My father, George died twenty-eight years ago of heart disease. He died when he was the same age as I am now. Near the end of his life he said to me, “There’s worse things than dying.” I asked him what was worse and he replied, “Being a burden to my family.” He died shortly afterward and relieved himself of that concern. In the subsequent years I have come to realize that I did not lose my father. Nor have I lost my mother who died in 2019. I continue to experience a connection with both of them. The connection is more than just a memory. I feel their essence any time that I pay attention to it. I suspect it’s always there even when I am not aware. I call the connection to my father George Consciousness. When in George Consciousness I experience a moment or an event from what feels like his unique perspective. Given his sense of humor those moments are usually very funny. I am grateful that both of my parents are Still Here.

Eating from the Same Plate

I wonder what and I wonder who Could ever unite the Red and the Blue. I’ve lived in a sea of Red and I’ve lived in a sea of Blue. I know people on both sides who are good  and some who are bad, too. In many ways it doesn’t matter if we are Red or if we are Blue.  We all love our families and we all love our friends  We all help our neighbors and we’ve all worked hard for the money we spend None of us feel good about the feelings of hate Cause in reality we are just eating from different sides of the same plate. Let’s not be duped. Let’s not be conned By the screens that we watch that profit by leading us on. There’s lots money made by buying and selling hate I hope we remember who we are before it’s too late.