Skip to main content

The Value of Doing Nothing


I belong to a Men’s Group at a local church that has a paradoxical mission. Our group strives to do ... nothing. This goal is not a surprise to our wives or significant others. We have no agenda, no curricula, and no program. We seldom start on time. No one brings food. Sometimes somebody will bring a six pack of beer to share. We do make one concession to structure: We start each meeting with a time for individuals to “check in.” This is a brief time for members to introduce a topic or to talk about something important that may have occurred since the last meeting. Sometimes we never move beyond check-in. When we do, someone always has an issue to get us started.

About once a year someone from the church where we meet will ask us to do something. We have been asked to work in soup kitchens and to work on fundraising activities. Once we were even asked to lead a Sunday service. So far, we have respectfully but firmly declined. I do not think we decline because we are lazy. We decline because we already participate in groups that do things. We give much of our lives to job-related teams, volunteer organizations, church committees, family activities, and other collections of people that have needs or demands. Our Men’s Group is the only group that we have ever joined that has no expectations or requirements.

However, over 14 years of getting together we have talked a lot. We have shared our childhoods. We have talked about our fathers and our relationships with them. We have asked each other questions about our wives and how various marriages do or don’t work. We have had gay men share their relationship problems, which sounded just like the relationship problems of the rest of us. We have listened to men going through divorce. We have listened and advised younger (and sometimes older) men on “dating issues.” We have listened to our fellow group members describe periods of deep depression. Some of us have sought advice about dealing with various other physical or mental illnesses. We have all talked and listened a lot. Through it all we remain committed to the principle of not doing anything.

We do not do anything, but I have observed that not doing anything can be enormously helpful. About a year ago, one member of the group was diagnosed with terminal cancer. This man’s circumstance trumped any other issues or needs for the group for several months. His ability and willingness to describe the physical and emotional details of his experience was a gift. He shared details about the mystery of dying that most of us never have access to. He trusted us enough to let us support him during this strange time. We did not do anything, but one of us did manage to help out around his house so his wife could get away for a while. We also had a very funny poker game at his house a few weeks before he died. The group did not do anything, but we were never the same.

Note: This essay was published a couple of years ago in the Urban Hiker, a now-defunct magazine in Durham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raison D’etre

It's not a lot But it's what I got Hope it'll last Not go too fast Some comin’ in Some goin' out Leavin' me just about Enough to break even So I can keep seein' A decent balance to be bequeathin’ To two fine young men Who are my best reason For Bein’ Here Now.

Still Here

My father, George died twenty-eight years ago of heart disease. He died when he was the same age as I am now. Near the end of his life he said to me, “There’s worse things than dying.” I asked him what was worse and he replied, “Being a burden to my family.” He died shortly afterward and relieved himself of that concern. In the subsequent years I have come to realize that I did not lose my father. Nor have I lost my mother who died in 2019. I continue to experience a connection with both of them. The connection is more than just a memory. I feel their essence any time that I pay attention to it. I suspect it’s always there even when I am not aware. I call the connection to my father George Consciousness. When in George Consciousness I experience a moment or an event from what feels like his unique perspective. Given his sense of humor those moments are usually very funny. I am grateful that both of my parents are Still Here.

Eating from the Same Plate

I wonder what and I wonder who Could ever unite the Red and the Blue. I’ve lived in a sea of Red and I’ve lived in a sea of Blue. I know people on both sides who are good  and some who are bad, too. In many ways it doesn’t matter if we are Red or if we are Blue.  We all love our families and we all love our friends  We all help our neighbors and we’ve all worked hard for the money we spend None of us feel good about the feelings of hate Cause in reality we are just eating from different sides of the same plate. Let’s not be duped. Let’s not be conned By the screens that we watch that profit by leading us on. There’s lots money made by buying and selling hate I hope we remember who we are before it’s too late.