Skip to main content

Terrorism Alerts on the Weather Channel

I often feel like the talking heads on television are using the threat of terrorism as a tool to manipulate us. They sometimes appear to exaggerate the threat as a way of appearing patriotic or important. I do not trust them to be accurate in their predictions about the real risks associated with possible terrorist attacks.

Lately, the only television talking heads I do trust are the people at the Weather Channel. I rely on them in the morning to offer solid predictions about the day’s weather based on expert opinions. I rely on them to tell the truth in the middle of the night when I wake up and need to be distracted from myself. The familiar talking heads at the Weather Channel speak to me as trusted, stable, consistent professionals.

The Weather Channel people do not scream at each other like the politicians and pseudo journalists on television. They do not have disguised political objectives that they promote through their weather predictions. They just present the truth as well as they know it in a clear, pleasant, non-judgmental way. When a part of the country experiences a weather-related disaster the Weather Channel people are there to accurately describe what has happened and to give practical, concrete information about relief efforts.

I wish the Weather Channel was the public face of the Department of Homeland Security. I would be so much more inclined to believe my trusted talking heads at the Weather Channel than the government spokespeople or their journalist collaborators. I take some comfort in the fact that the politicians and pseudo-journalists cannot politicize the Weather Channel – yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raison D’etre

It's not a lot But it's what I got Hope it'll last Not go too fast Some comin’ in Some goin' out Leavin' me just about Enough to break even So I can keep seein' A decent balance to be bequeathin’ To two fine young men Who are my best reason For Bein’ Here Now.

Still Here

My father, George died twenty-eight years ago of heart disease. He died when he was the same age as I am now. Near the end of his life he said to me, “There’s worse things than dying.” I asked him what was worse and he replied, “Being a burden to my family.” He died shortly afterward and relieved himself of that concern. In the subsequent years I have come to realize that I did not lose my father. Nor have I lost my mother who died in 2019. I continue to experience a connection with both of them. The connection is more than just a memory. I feel their essence any time that I pay attention to it. I suspect it’s always there even when I am not aware. I call the connection to my father George Consciousness. When in George Consciousness I experience a moment or an event from what feels like his unique perspective. Given his sense of humor those moments are usually very funny. I am grateful that both of my parents are Still Here.

Eating from the Same Plate

I wonder what and I wonder who Could ever unite the Red and the Blue. I’ve lived in a sea of Red and I’ve lived in a sea of Blue. I know people on both sides who are good  and some who are bad, too. In many ways it doesn’t matter if we are Red or if we are Blue.  We all love our families and we all love our friends  We all help our neighbors and we’ve all worked hard for the money we spend None of us feel good about the feelings of hate Cause in reality we are just eating from different sides of the same plate. Let’s not be duped. Let’s not be conned By the screens that we watch that profit by leading us on. There’s lots money made by buying and selling hate I hope we remember who we are before it’s too late.