Skip to main content

What Governor Easley Should Say to People with Mental Illness


Since the days of Aristotle, people have recognized and written about the power of a good apology. When individuals or institutions make mistakes someone must apologize. Without an apology the process of healing gets stuck.

Unfortunately, most elected officials do not seem to understand the ethical necessity and the practical value of just saying, “I am sorry.” Governor Easley is a good example of an elected official who will leave office without seizing one significant opportunity to apologize.

He could start by apologizing for his role in the failure of mental health reform. He could say that he is sorry for not paying enough attention to the mental health system until it was too damaged for him to repair. He could say that he is sorry for not recognizing that some aspects of mental health “reform” were flawed from the beginning and should have been repealed. He could express his regret for not taking stronger action to protect people with disabilities who were victimized by inadequate treatment or incompetent service providers.

If Governor Easley set a good example and apologized, it might inspire many of us who are involved in the mental health system to reflect on our own role and responsibility for the failures of mental health reform. Other apologies might follow and the rebuilding of the system could begin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raison D’etre

It's not a lot But it's what I got Hope it'll last Not go too fast Some comin’ in Some goin' out Leavin' me just about Enough to break even So I can keep seein' A decent balance to be bequeathin’ To two fine young men Who are my best reason For Bein’ Here Now.

Still Here

My father, George died twenty-eight years ago of heart disease. He died when he was the same age as I am now. Near the end of his life he said to me, “There’s worse things than dying.” I asked him what was worse and he replied, “Being a burden to my family.” He died shortly afterward and relieved himself of that concern. In the subsequent years I have come to realize that I did not lose my father. Nor have I lost my mother who died in 2019. I continue to experience a connection with both of them. The connection is more than just a memory. I feel their essence any time that I pay attention to it. I suspect it’s always there even when I am not aware. I call the connection to my father George Consciousness. When in George Consciousness I experience a moment or an event from what feels like his unique perspective. Given his sense of humor those moments are usually very funny. I am grateful that both of my parents are Still Here.

Eating from the Same Plate

I wonder what and I wonder who Could ever unite the Red and the Blue. I’ve lived in a sea of Red and I’ve lived in a sea of Blue. I know people on both sides who are good  and some who are bad, too. In many ways it doesn’t matter if we are Red or if we are Blue.  We all love our families and we all love our friends  We all help our neighbors and we’ve all worked hard for the money we spend None of us feel good about the feelings of hate Cause in reality we are just eating from different sides of the same plate. Let’s not be duped. Let’s not be conned By the screens that we watch that profit by leading us on. There’s lots money made by buying and selling hate I hope we remember who we are before it’s too late.