Skip to main content

The Best Medicine

My father had a unique sense of humor. He laughed easily and often. He told the same old jokes again and again, laughing each time as if he were hearing them for the first time. I think he was funniest when he was trying not to laugh, which often happened in church. Somehow, George did not mind falling asleep and snoring during services, but he drew the line at laughing out loud. The harder he tried to hold it in, the funnier he became. 


I remember sitting next to him once at a dance recital of seven year old girls. When a little girl did a handstand and accidentally knocked over the little dancer next to her, George’s entire body began to shake as he struggled to suppress a laugh. Of course, it was contagious, and soon I was shaking right along with him.


This picture captures my favorite image of my father. 



 

What made his humor unique, though, was not funny at all. It was the opposite. I believe George’s sense of humor was a way of coping with far more than his share of trauma in life. 

His father, Orbison, died during the Great Depression, when George was just five years oldHe was killed by a train after his truck stalled on the tracks. Some of us assume it was suicide; others in the family prefer to call it an accident. After his father’s death, his mother, Sallie Owen could not manage or afford to raise George and his four siblings, so George was placed with other relatives, where he spent most of his childhood and adolescence. After high school, George joined the Air Force and served during World War II. When he returned home, he and his new wifemy motherbought their first house. They invited George’s mother to visit and to see the new home. While exploring it, Sallie mistook the basement door for a closet and fell down the stairs to her death. I never heard George say a single word about the incident. My mother spent the rest of her life believing that some of George’s siblings suspected her of pushing Sallie down the stairs
 
George’s formal education ended after high school, but that did not keep him from setting lofty career goals. He spent the rest of his life chasing unrealistic dreams of financial success that never materialized  - not even close. Still, George kept his sense of humor and his capacity for uninhibited laughter. 

His humor may have been a coping mechanism that masked his depression. I don’t know. If it was, it was a damn good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raison D’etre

It's not a lot But it's what I got Hope it'll last Not go too fast Some comin’ in Some goin' out Leavin' me just about Enough to break even So I can keep seein' A decent balance to be bequeathin’ To two fine young men Who are my best reason For Bein’ Here Now.

Still Here

My father, George died twenty-eight years ago of heart disease. He died when he was the same age as I am now. Near the end of his life he said to me, “There’s worse things than dying.” I asked him what was worse and he replied, “Being a burden to my family.” He died shortly afterward and relieved himself of that concern. In the subsequent years I have come to realize that I did not lose my father. Nor have I lost my mother who died in 2019. I continue to experience a connection with both of them. The connection is more than just a memory. I feel their essence any time that I pay attention to it. I suspect it’s always there even when I am not aware. I call the connection to my father George Consciousness. When in George Consciousness I experience a moment or an event from what feels like his unique perspective. Given his sense of humor those moments are usually very funny. I am grateful that both of my parents are Still Here.

Eating from the Same Plate

I wonder what and I wonder who Could ever unite the Red and the Blue. I’ve lived in a sea of Red and I’ve lived in a sea of Blue. I know people on both sides who are good  and some who are bad, too. In many ways it doesn’t matter if we are Red or if we are Blue.  We all love our families and we all love our friends  We all help our neighbors and we’ve all worked hard for the money we spend None of us feel good about the feelings of hate Cause in reality we are just eating from different sides of the same plate. Let’s not be duped. Let’s not be conned By the screens that we watch that profit by leading us on. There’s lots money made by buying and selling hate I hope we remember who we are before it’s too late.